Friday cake #15 : nougat glacé
Today, we make a traditional French recipe : the iced nougat. I try to make it simplier and less fat than usually (although it’s still not what we can call a ‘light dessert’!) . It takes 30 minutes, but its very easy to make!
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Freezing time : 12 heures
Ingredients (5-6 serving)
- 150 g flake almonds
- 40 g dried apricots
- 40 g sultanas
- 40 g pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 30 cl single cream
- 3 egg-whites
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 40 g unsalted pistachios
. Slice the apricots into dices. Mix them with sultanas and rum. Let the fruits macerate.
2. Roast the almonds, the pine nuts and the pistachios in a hot pan. One minute later, remove the pine nuts and the pistachios. Pour some sugar (40 g) upon the almonds and a knob of butter. Brown off. Then spread the almonds on a greaseproof paper and let them cool down. Cut the nougat into small pieces with your fingers.
3. Heat the honey with 40 g of sugar for 2-3 minutes to obtain a syrup. In the meantime, beat the egg-whites to a light mousse, and add the syrup. Beat until the preparation is cool (about 5 minutes).
4. Beat the cold single cream firmly.
5. To finish : mix together the cream and the egg-whites. Then, add the nougat, the pine nuts, the pistachios and the other fruits. Put the preparation in a cake tin and freeze it for at least 12 hours.
Delicious to eat with fresh raspberries or any acidulous fruits!