Today, we launch a new section in our Travel heading : “Family Travel Guides”. Each time, a family gives us its tips to visit a country, a city or a large area. We only choose families who live there or that go frequently on holidays there. All the tips and addresses have been tested and approved!
To open this section, we go to Rio (Brazil) with Gisela. She’s a young mum in her thirties who’s been living there for nearly a year with her family (her husband and her two adorable kids). She gives us her own personal family tips to visit Rio : where to go out, what to shop, where to eat, where the most amazing beaches are,…
BARS & RESTAURANTS
- Confiteria Colombo : an old coffee-shop in Rio downtown. Great breakfast (order just one for 3 persons as it’s very generous). You will taste there all the typical Brazilian cakes.
- Fogo de chao Botafogo. Best meat in Rio!
- Boteco Belmonte Leblon. Perfect to eat a wonderful “picanha” (typical Brazilian meat served with rice, farofa and fejao) after having a rest in the lovely Leblon beach.
Our advice :
- When you’re in a restaurant, all the meals are to be shared … So be carefeul not to order too much!!
- When you ask for “sucos” (fruit juices), always ask ‘sugar free’ as it’s very sweet…
Farm: created in 1997, this children brand is a “must”. Its tropical print is so lovely! Perfect to keeep the Carioca Attitude when you go back home!
Fabula :I really love this children brand with colorful prints!
Pharmacias Granados : best soaps, creams, candles and fragrances in Brazil!
KEY PLACES IN THE CENTRO
- Escadería Selarón : 250 steps decorated by Chilean destiner Jorge Selaron with tiles coming from 60 countries
- Take the Corcovado train to see the Cristo Redentor statue from different points of view. The train goes through the tropical forest : an enchantment!
- If you stay in Rio for a long time :
- Go and see the local food markets. Drink fresh coco water ( ‘coco gelado’) and taste delicious homemade pasteis.
- Play football in the Flamengo beach : the Flamengo club has got an “escolinha” and kids can really have fun !!
- Visite Copacabana fort
- Have brunch at Parque Lage
The best is to go by tube …
Otherwise, upload 99 taxis app to call a taxi. Be patient : traffic is so dense in Rio!!
Little family friendly beach city 2 hrs from Rio.
Lovely pousadas (inns) such as La pousada la Chimère : affordable, lovely sandy beach and scrumptious breakfast.
You can test several beaches :
- Praia Brava : lots of waves, beautiful view. To eat : ROCKAFISH and its tasty fish.
- Praia Joao Fernandez: small beach where you can practice submarine fishing and eat fresh fish.
- Praia dos Ossos: family beach with no waves.
Sortie Pao de Açucar
You can come early in the morning and climb the Pao de Açucar.
If you have 3 years -old or older kids, you can go on a helicopter tour above Rio. Fantastic!
You can go down by feet : 30 minutes through the tropical forest. Then go and eat some pasteis at URCA and stay all the afternoon on Praia Vermelha.
Barra da Tijuca
Beaches are clean and with less people. Perfect with kids!
To eat in the sand : PESQUEIRO ECO GOURMET. grilles fish and seafood
You can also go and eat a moqueca (typical Brazilian meal), at BIRA DA GUARATIBA (15 minutes from Rio, in the middle of the tropical forest). Beautiful sea view, amazing forest and lovely little monkeys!
Many many thanks to Gisela for all her tips!
See you very soon for a healthy topic : Johanna, fitness specialist and teacher, will give us some witty exercises to do while watching the kids at the park!
Have a lovely week