Almost every Spring, we like spending holidays on Ré island (Charentes Maritimes, Atlantic Coast). This time of year is my favorite there : flowering trees, fragrant wildflowers, pretty wisteria … The light is vivid and the sun can be sometimes quite hot. You can find pretty vegetables and fresh Spring herbs on farmers markets…Last but not least, there are rather few bikes compared to summertime, which is quite good, because ccycling could even be dangerous in August.
In short, it’s really the perfect time to go for long bike rides along the coast or through the marshes.
Here are some photos of our last journey there and some of our favorite places for accomodating, visiting, shopping and having lunch.
Where to stay?
We highly recommend Bon Séjour en France rentals ; all are very well furnished, cozy and welcoming. The cottages are very well designed for families.
Other solutions exist of course, such as guest rooms (there are many on the island) and hotels. Here is a short personal selection :
- Hotel Le Sénéchal in Ars-en ré : a beautiful hôtel in the centre of the village.
- Hotel Relais Châteaux de Toiras in Saint-Martin’s port : perfect for a romantic journey … But quite expensive!!!
- La Maison au Figuier : charming guest house in the centre of Bois-Plage (tel : 0033 5 46 01 60 31)
- La Coursive Morinand in Bois-Plage : another charming guest house in the centre of the village with a lovely swimming pool
What to do?
Well, first, lots of bike rides! It is very easy to get around, for example between Bois Plage and Saint-Martin (4km) or between Bois-Plage and La Flotte. The marshes around Loix are also the occasion of a very nice bike tour.
Walking and playing on the beach. Our favorite beaches: Petit Bec and Trousse Chemise at Les Portes and the Beach of Le Petit Sergent in Bois-Plage.
Strolling the streets of the pretty villages like La Flotte, Les Portes, Ars-en-Ré..
These are my favorite shops on the island :
- Celestine in Saint Martin : a great sélection of toys, kids fashion &shoes
- By Sophie in Les Portes : this talented designer makes clothes for children and women in soft, light and easy to wear fabric. I just love it! Note that you can also find By Sophie in Paris (on Jean-Pierre Timbaud street, 11th).
- Marie et Benoît in Ars-en Ré for their over-dyed linen and recycled fashion selection.
- And, above all, all the wonderful farmers markets with lots of local products !! We especially like Bois-Plage daily market.
- Not to be missed either : buy straw hats and baskets that will accompany you all summer !! You can find them on markets or shops.
Where to eat?
We don’t have many addresses in stock because we cook a lot at home, but here is a small tester and approved selection :
- Of course, the best ice-creams at la Martinère shop in St. Martin
- Le Cervane (still in St. Martin:) a tapas restaurant & bar which serves very good daily specials and fresh fish. Less touristic than the other restaurants.
- Le Moulin à Café in Bois-Plage: good creperie in the village center
- Les Q salés in Bois-Plage : very good restaurant with a nice sunny terrace.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this journey !!
Let’s meet next Tuesday with a selection of spring-summer shoes for kids!
Happy weekend everyone,